Extraordinary Ministers of the Holy Eucharist
The position of Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion is not a voluntary one. The Pastor must invite the person. That person must be at least 19 years of age, a practicing Catholic distinguished by their Christian life, faith and morals, have a deep respect for and devotion to the Holy Eucharist and must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. If married, the marriage must be a valid Catholic marriage. After a background check, the Archbishop must then approve the individual. Initially the person attends a three-hour diocesan training session followed by a training session in their parish. There is a formal commissioning by the Pastor during a Sunday Mass. After three years, if the Pastor and person are willing, and the need exists, the commission is simply renewed.
- Serve at Holy Mass
- Take Communion to the homebound or those in facilities
- Obliged to use their commissioning at least twice a month
- Contact: Mary Lou Tanksi 860-659-2861
Altar servers and cross bearers are generally youngsters in the fourth grade and older. Instructional sessions are conducted twice yearly by a priest of the parish. Several adult altar servers also assist at Masses of Christian Burial, Nuptial Masses, Saturday morning Mass and other ecclesiastical services.
- Contact: Teresa Hart Teresa.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The lector proclaims the Scripture readings used in the Liturgy of the Word from the official liturgical book (lectionary).
- The lectors read about every four to six weeks
- Initial training is provided
- In order to prepare in advance, each lector receives a handbook with all the readings.
- Contact Melissa LaCafta: 860-633-9419 or email@example.com
The position of Usher is an integral part of the overall operation of the church. The many responsibilities of an usher include attention to detail and friendliness.
- Must arrive 15 minutes before Mass and check in with Captain
- Inspect pews
- Be a Minister of Hospitality
- Assist fellow parishioners with questions re: facility, medical assistance, etc
- Adhere to dress code
- Conduct weekly collection
- Attend occasional meetings
- Contact: George Jachimowski 860-568-7274 or firstname.lastname@example.org.